SC: No hero’s burial for Marcos until October 18

836070_zpsfa518ddc.jpgMANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Supreme Court said on Wednesday, September 7, the status quo ante (SQA) order on the burial of the late President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani will be extended until October 18.

The original order for SQA (previously existing state of affairs) – issued on August 23 and served the following day – is scheduled to lapse on Tuesday, September 13, two days after the late dictator’s 99th death anniversary.

Before this, the family of the strongman, with the consent of President Rodrigo Duterte, had tentatively set Marcos’ burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani for September 18.

The remains of the dictator are in a family mouseleum in his birthplace in Batac, Ilocos Norte.

President Duterte has ordered Marcos’ burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, triggering protests from anti-Marcos groups. Victims of Martial Law then asked the SC to stop the burial.

The SC heard oral arguments on the consolidated petitioners on August 31 and September 7. (READ: SC orals on Marcos burial: Issues and answers)

On Wednesday it ordered both sides to submit their memoranda within 20 days.

Duterte has said he will abide by the SC decision.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s